Monday, November 2, 2009

Nothing New Under The Sun

Have you ever taken a person from Scripture and tried to wear their shoes? Take Mephibosheth for example. Surely you know who I'm referring to - oh, you know him, he's the man who lived in Jerusalem. Not a clue, huh? Well, how about this, he was the man who lived in Jerusalem and was lame in both feet. Still nothing? Well then, let me tell you about this man with whom I can relate.

Mephibosheth was a man with a dream. His life as Jonathan's son, and King Saul's grandson was all laid out ahead of him . . . that is until life happened. In what must have seemed like an instant, his family was gone and David was crowned the new reigning King.

Being dethroned I can relate to.

His life now was one in which he was shunned and rejected and cast aside by everyone who knew him. Once a patriarch, it tells us in 2 Samuel 9:8 that he now considered himself to be a 'stray dog'. He was undoubtedly struggling with the age old problem of poor self- esteem.

Been there, done that!!

But then one day - out of the blue - He was summoned to appear before the King. As strange as it may seem I can imagine the fears that must have gripped him as he shuffled and stammered his way into the King's presence . . . he entered . . . only to find out that the King's plan was to honor him. To treat him like one of the royal family and ultimately invite him to eat at the King's table. The King was willing to ignore whatever had happened in the past and take him just as he was . . . lame feet and all !

Does THAT sound familiar? . . . yep, it does to me too!

Well, mystery solved and isn't it amazing that God used our mystery man to teach us, through David's act of kindness, about His incredible grace. And although it's been thousands of years since He purposed Mephibosheth's life to inherit a life of royalty, He continues that honor even now through those who humble themselves before His Son.

Father God, I thank You for the trials that You've seen me through for surely they have brought me to Your Throne. You have honored me with a Kinship that is beyond my ability to fathom and I thank you for that. I pray that others will be willing to find someone that You've planted within Scriptures that will help them to see your unquestionable faithfulness!

Father, may it be so, for I ask it in the name of your precious Son, Jesus the Christ.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: