Saturday, January 23, 2010

A New Holiday Declared

A new Holiday - I declare - "Be Kind To Jesus Day".

Although the very thought seems to be mind boggling, I recently came to realize, through an Oswald Chambers devotional, that it is wonderful to remember that Jesus Christ has needs which we ourselves can meet. Actually, Jesus Himself eludes to that in John 4:7 as He instructs us to "Give Me a drink". How, you ask, is it possible that Jesus would have needs? He's God. And how in the world could we come to a place where we would be used to meet those needs?

Well, before reading on any further, I prayed, asking the Holy Spirit to give me insight into this mystery. I sought understanding that would allow me to draw closer with a heart that was wide open and desirous of Him. Soon I began to see that as His chosen ones we, on any given day, do indeed reach out to help those around us who are hurting. Joyously we share in their victories and we stand in awe of the obvious love that blankets their lives. With all of this in the forefront of my mind it wasn't long before I conceded to the notion that with the necessary training in place we certainly may have been made for such an event as this - for such a time as this.

As my heart opened up I saw before me the perfect example of the One who came to show us how to meet one anther's needs. He taught us to be kind, to encourage one another, to show thanks. As I attempted to fathom the possibility of meeting HIS needs I realized that it would be silly to think that I could prepare 'my husband' a typical meal or to have slippers waiting for Him at the end of a day but at His command . . . feast I can . . . so feast I did!

With my heart prepared, I laid out before Him a feast that I hoped would be worthy of a King. One that I prayed would leave Him dripping in love and desire for me.

Our time together began as I brought to Him a bowl laden in gold that contained the treasure of my thanks to Him. I filled it to the brim so that His senses were emerged in its presentation. Once I knew that I had His undivided attention, I placed before Him a side salad of kindness displayed beautifully on a bed of encouragement. I offered Him a tray that was filled with utter understanding of my need for Him. Then, before lavishing Him with the main course of everlasting love and devotion, I sprinkled His forehead with fragrant oils in an attempt to bring Him to a remembrance of the beauty of His creation. Opening up His pores I prayed that His essence would drink in all that I had poured out onto Him. As He savored the fruit of my devotion I presented Him with a chalice of praise which overflowed into seemingly endless adoration. I couldn't help but linger there. Mesmerized, I strolled with Him, hand in hand, down a path which lead to the time when He first asked me to be His beloved . . . and I said Yes, Lord. Adding to my amazement He brought to my mind His Words in Jeremiah 2:2 that say to me "I remember . . . the love of your betrothal . . .". Overwhelmed, I surrendered all to Him.

For such an event as this, for such a time as this, Lord, I am eternally grateful.
Let us proclaim our willingness to declare a new holiday in which each of us feast together with Him as we reach out to meet His needs, for I pray it all, Jesus, in your loving name.
Amen and amen.
bo

1 comment:

Michelle Dunn-Erecitano said...

What a beautiful feast you prepared for our Risen King! Thank you for sharing Bonnie!