Friday, May 28, 2010

To Know, Know, Know Him

Yesterday at work I met with a group of people from varying departments within our Company to discuss a project that will bring a major change to the way we do business. As the topic was being discussed the facilitator commented that after the meeting he would speak to 'Bette' and seek her input about a specific issue that had surfaced. As the meeting continued on I found my mind drifting away from the discussion because it occurred to me that without even saying her last name everyone there knew exactly who it was that he was referring to. Wow . . . I was impressed . . . everyone there knew who this 'Bette' was without even mentioning her last name.

Well, I will confess now that pride could have played a part in my new found wonderment because this person that everyone was relying on is my very own beloved sister. Immediately I sat at attention ready to declare that I knew her better than anyone else. I stood ready to tell them that she is tried and true and faithful and trustworthy and generous not only as a worker but also as a wife and a sister and a woman of God . . . but setting all of that aside I found further wonderment in the fact that to our Lord we too are that well known. He not only knows us by our first names but what peace there is in knowing that He is aware of even the very hairs on our head. It blows me away that He knows more about me than even I do. How thankful I am that He knows me well enough to know what sculpting needs to be done or when love needs to be poured out into my life.

We are made in His image. If we're 'born again' His Holy Spirit resides within us but even beyond the awesomeness of that, we must know that He created each of us to be a reflection of who He is. As I live out who He created 'Bonnie' to be . . . as you live out who He created you to be . . . His diversity is being displayed. When you further consider the billions of people who came before us or will come after us suddenly you can't even fathom how vast that He is. Think about it . . . He considers us to be His Beloved and it's all because we are one with Him. That's why we have every reason to be in all consuming awe of Him.

Whatever it is that we're going through in our lives . . . be it a mountaintop experience or time spent within a valley . . . we may feel unworthy, unimportant, or overwhelmed but remember always that He knows us by our first names because each of us are one with Him.

Father, please forgive my inability to express to others who my heart knows you to be. May you show Yourself fully to those who know you on this day. May they be blessed in knowing that you and they are one and may those who turn from You have fresh hearing as you call them by their first names. I ask this in the Name that is above all names . . . Jesus, my Christ.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: