Saturday, February 7, 2009

First or Last

Often Jesus noted that "those who were last will be first and those who were first will be last." (i.e. Mt 20:16) Just as often as He said it, I have been confused by that statement. What in the world could He mean?

Well, this morning when reading from the book "Making Love Last Forever" by Gary Smalley, the Holy Spirit brought me an application of this truth statement. Let me explain . . . We are commanded to 'Love others as you love yourself' but when you stop and think about that statement you really need to (as Jesus said) deal first with the last then the last will be first. Sorry . . . here's the principle . . .
The last = love yourself
The first = love others
Soooooooooo - you must first love yourself in order to be in a position to then love others. The first will become last and the last will become first.

NOW Jesus' statement makes sense!

I have to admit that the chances are REAL good that this was not what Jesus was pointing to when He so often made that statement but hey, if it has helped me to understand how I can live in His peace and ultimately bring all glory to Him, then I'm quite sure that He's ok with my application of His truth!!!

Glory to God - - -
Amen and Amen
bo
www.anencouragersheart@blogspot.com

No comments: