Sunday, December 27, 2009

Anonymous No More

Anonymous . . . that was my friend . . . that was until something happened that changed everything . . . but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let me begin by telling you that I recently heard a sermon in which a man of God mentioned that everyone, at one time or another, goes through an identity crisis. All of us wonder who we really are, what purpose our life is to have in the big scheme of things and how in the world we are to fulfill that purpose. This need of identity has taken many a man on a journey that has offered endless challenges and remarkably, the search often has no boundary of time.

As a young man my friend watched as others around him were lead through trying times by God-fearing, faithful men of our community. Most grew up to mirror the beliefs that they had been taught but, as they say, my friend was cut from a different cloth. The talk around town was that he chose to break the mirror and do things his own way. Soon, wherever my friend went he was met with ridicule and rejection as he sought to carve out his own identity of choice.

Over time bitterness, resentment and anger grew within him. Without actually realizing it he allowed this darkness to define who he would become. Seeing no other way out he chose a life that would eventually lead him to his very own pit of hell. Empty and lonely were his last days on this earth for yes, sadly, judgement came as it always does and my friend's sentence was to die for his transgressions.

As he hung there, two other men hung along side of him. One, just as evil as himself, but the other man was different. For reasons unknown, the man in the middle was being punished for things that he didn't do. We wondered then why in the world he didn't shout curses to those who had mistreated him with such vile hatred in their hearts or at the very least what kept him from declaring his innocence. But as my friend watched these things unfold - as he heard this man express only tenderness for the mother that he was leaving behind - as this man sought merciful forgiveness for the barbarians who betrayed him - my friend's heart melted. No further explanation was needed - I could see that my friend knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this man was, indeed, the Christ of God, the Chosen One.

It was then that my friend's identity became clear . . . it was then that he knew that he had been chosen by God to be an example for the rest of us who - even unto the last moments of your life - have the opportunity to accept Jesus as your very own Christ.

Anonymous no more. Something happened to change everything . . . and with the promise of Paradise before him, my friend died knowing that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him.

May you realize fully God's touch on your life as something happens to you which changes everything.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: