Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Perfect Gift

As I recall the Christmas' of my youth my remembrances drift back to special moments that are forever etched into my heart. I was born into a family of hard working parents who did everything they could, with meager means, to create special moments for my sisters and I. My father could never bring himself to say 'no' to any of his girls so when my mother's heart was moved to surprise one of us, Daddy rarely raised any serious objections.

Christmas tradition in our home included midnight mass, followed by a Christmas morning that brought with it gifts that we came to expect . . . a new flannel nightgown and a brand new baby doll. To this day I can remember the smell of those dolls and still, if by chance I come into contact with something that has that same smell, it takes me right back to those special times.

But I recall one particular Christmas that was more than just a bit out of the ordinary. Oh, don't get me wrong, we opened packages with extra soft pajamas in them and then there was the usual (instant) bonding that brought that baby doll into our hearts but on this particular Christmas with all the gifts unwrapped, I remember my father directing me to go into the cellar to bring a tool up for him. Although I don't remember whether or not I jumped at the chance to be obedient . . . my guess is that I didn't . . . I have a vivid recollection of going down the stairs and there finding a wonderful surprise waiting just for me to discover . . . it was a beautiful, red bicycle with my name on it. Isn't it simply amazing that the Lord allows us to capture and recall memories that become even sweeter with time.

Special, yes, but what about those Christmas' . . . or for that matter, what about those ordinary days in which it becomes a challenge to see any gifts at all coming our way?

As I pondered this reality I was lead to Psalm 119. There in the center of the Bible you find words that cause you to open up your heart to know that the only true and lasting gift that we have in this world is the Word of God. Scripture is our gift from God . . . at Christmas or on any given day. John tells us that "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John later recounts that Jesus tells Nicodemus "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son." . . . Christ, the Word, is our gift and there isn't any power on this earth that can overcome the Power of that Truth.

In Psalm 131 of God's Word we find the author talking about being a content baby. In all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season I pray that you will take a moment and sit quietly with God. Allow Him to stir your heart as He impresses His love upon you. Know His presence. Enjoy the joy you feel - no matter what your earthly circumstances are - enjoy Him . . . for ultimately He is the Gift that you will recall and honestly be able to say "I love my life". Not because of 'stuff' but because of the fullness of pleasure that He provides.

Father God, I give you thanks - simple as it is. I, like the little drummer boy, have nothing to give to you other than my heart but I give it to you Father . . . freely and wholly . . . and as I do this in your presence, I shout praises of glory and honor to the Gift you have so generously provided . . . for HE IS WORTHY!

bo

No comments: