Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dear God:

This morning I was lead to a passage in God's Word in which Jeremiah the Prophet was giving God a piece of his mind (Jer 20:7-10). It seems that a dilemma ensued for Jeremiah after he began sharing with his friends and acquaintances the insightful truths that God had revealed to him. As a matter of fact, Jeremiah's desire to share God's Divine Wisdom with them was so overwhelming that it wasn't long before the people around him got pretty tied of seeing him coming. Even old friends poked fun at him, ridiculed his ideas and watched for ways to get rid of him permanently. What was Jeremiah to do then but turn and cry out to the Lord.

Being honest with God. Openly giving Him a piece of your mind. Making sure that, in no uncertain terms, He is fully aware of all that's happening in your life. (AS IF . . .!) Defending yourself . . . for surely the Lord needs to know that you're not deserving of any harsh treatment. Jeremiah shows us that out of our humanness, all of us are inclined to complain and feel sorry for ourselves . . . but have you ever really stopped and thought about what God's reaction must be when we dump our inner most heart out on to Him?

I believe that we must gaze upon the face of God in order to envision His reaction to our outpouring. We must first know this God to whom we turn. We must know that He would never expect any more from us than He Himself would give. We must realize that He would never lie to us . . . so we must, therefore, be honest with Him. We must concede that His Wisdom encompasses the entire universe . . . not just our little corner of it. We must be willing to follow rather than take the lead.

With a humble and contrite heart we may now be ready to speak honestly with the Father. Respect is key when honesty is the goal. A teachable heart is key when understanding is sought. When love is the driving force I believe that we are sure to run head-long into arms that are comforting, merciful and compassionate. I am, therefore, utterly convinced that He delights to spend this intimate time with us. His heart is warmed in knowing that we eagerly run to Him as we desire to bear our souls in our moment of need.

Dear God:
Your Word tells me that You've already gone out ahead of me and fought the battles that are yet to come into my life. What comfort that affords my soul. Help me, Holy Spirit, to be honest and authentic with You. Help me to consider Your needs before my own. And as I show signs of my humanness, please Dear Lord, mold me into the person who seeks Your will above all else . . . in Jesus' Holy Name . . .
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: