Sunday, February 7, 2010

In or Of

Maybe it's time for me to concede to the aging process . . . but wait a minute . . . I'm still the baby in my family so I think that I'll leave the 'getting older' to my siblings who have nicely mastered the art of aging but even if what's ailing me isn't old age, then at the very least, I have to admit that yesterday, after spending the day 'in the world', my rose colored glasses took a hit . . . let me explain:

With the onset of preparations at hand for my daughter's wedding, Sara and I embarked on our first outing to buy a 'Mother-of-the-Bride' dress. It came as no surprise to either of us that my wardrobe would prove to be her biggest challenge. Our first mistake was to step foot into a Bridal Salon on a Saturday afternoon. Overflowing with brides and bridesmaids and sales people and dresses everywhere . . . (hundreds of dresses - long ones, frilly ones, skimpy ones, frumpy ones . . . ) it wasn't long before this naive tenderling showed signs of being overwhelmed amidst the world.

Earlier in the day I had learned of a family man who had succumb to lust. Although at one time an avid follower of Christ, his life was now on a much different track. Amidst his shattered family, acceptance of the situation is being urged . . . for the sake of peace this will now be the new family norm. What a sad but all to familiar commentary.

Spend an hour at the local mall on a Saturday afternoon and see if you don't agree that the world is overdosed on lies. Check out the sights, the sounds, the smells that entice the unsuspecting senses of those who travel the corridors. Then remember that God's Word tells us that we are to "be in the world but not of the world". We are to live among 'un-Godly' people but not let their attitudes and weaknesses and influences tempt us.

But how, pray tell, is this possible. Each of us are at risk for the lies of the world, our flesh and the devil so what hope could any of us possibly have? If the truth be told shouldn't we all fold in fear of what appears to be the inevitable? No! No! and again I say NO for on the heals of my day 'in the world' the Lord brought me to His Word in Romans 8:31-39. There I found that Christ, having been raised from the dead "is sitting in the place of honor at God's right hand, pleading for us." "So then if God is for us, who can ever be against us?" Reading in between the lines I see it saying - it doesn't matter what lies the world believes - our God is mightier than all the lies cast down since the beginning of time! Jesus Christ is interceding for us - how glorious! He's asking the Father to show us His mercy, provide His wisdom and to allow us His forgiveness. Truly, if God is for us we have all the hope we need to continue on. No lie can ever truly separate us from the love of God. Praise God HE is our hope!!!!!!!

Father God, we seek, Dear Lord, eyes that see only Your truths and ears that hear only Your voice. Draw us close to You Father so that we are not taken captive by the lies that are all around us. Renew in us, Lord we pray, an unquenchable desire to live and breathe Your righteousness. In Jesus' precious name we acknowledge that Your mercies, although undeserved, are more precious than we can fathom. Forever and always - we agape You.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: