Monday, April 11, 2011

Let Not My Heart Be Judgmental

Recently I have been filled with the conviction to address the same issue in my life that has plagued all of mankind since the beginning of time ... being judgmental. As my eyes were opened to a particular event in which I stumbled ... and inflicted pain ... I quickly recalled Jesus' teaching in Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge or you too will be judged." The concept of that truth is clearly understandable in my heart but in my humanness, and maybe even in yours, it seems that at any given moment it is much easier to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk.

In my world, the opportunity to judge others comes knocking without an open invitation. I don't set out to form opinions or to develop attitudes but, more often than I like to admit, that is exactly what happens.

As a child, my mother taught my sisters and I the importance of minding our own business. All she had to say was 'M' 'Y' 'O' 'B' and we knew, without question, that we were treading on ground that was to remain a mystery to us. Now, years later, I find that the lesson my mother firmly instilled in us was only the first step in being mindful of my "P's and Q's".

The truth is that we communicate with people every day and as we do, we run the 'risk' of getting involved in their lives. With human nature being what it is, it should come as no surprise that even a brief encounter can innocently set us up to wear a black robe ... with a gavel in hand! As soon as that happens you're just liable to hear a familiar voice in your spirit saying ... "Uh, excuse me, my child ... you are sitting my My seat."

YIKES!

It's then that you realize fully that it is best to love beyond yourself ... Love in a way that only He could equip you to do ... and Love with the kind of love that reflects who HE is ... not who you are.

So now I set out to touch someone's life without coming away with preconceived notions ... without dictating a 'sure fired cure' for what ails them ... and without running head long into a list of things that only serve to drive wedges and create hurtful barriers. Remarkably, thankfully, the ultimate Truth that we need is stated in Matthew 19:26 "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible." In and of ourselves, on occasion, we are likely to slip and fall, but by His grace we are free of condemnation and hopeful of forgiveness.

Father God, may this message concerning the challenges of being judgmental, bring each of us a clear revelation of where we stand in Your eyes. Forgive us Lord, for our willingness to succumb to the temptation of judging others. Allow our very souls to be moved beyond measure as we consider the pain we inflict, first on those we judge but more importantly, on Jesus Himself. We delcare YOU, and YOU alone, Father, as the only true and everlasting Judge, and in Jesus' name we give immeasurable thanks for Your Grace that sustains us in our greatest moments of weakness.
Amen and amen.

No comments: