Saturday, April 2, 2011

Truth Empowered Lives

We've all chuckled at the truth that lies within the familiar adage ... Garbage in/Garbage out ... but have we allowed that truth to convict our actions? The music we listen to, the TV we watch, the books we read, the people we spend time with ... even the food that we eat. It's true - we ARE what we consume!

WOW - I'm feeling shamefully defensive - filled with reasoning and arguments and even a touch of stubborn defiance. As I squirm in my seat I'm reminded once again of the wisdom that my friend Betty has shared with me on countless occasions ... "read books sparingly - read the Word often". Thank God for the gems of life and for the angels of mercy who deliver them!

As I consider the truth of Betty's guidance, I think of one of my favorite Books of the Bible ... 'Esther'. In it we are told of Esther's challenge to go against the traditions of the time and do what was needed to save all Jews from annihilation. As Queen she had the nation of Persia at her disposal but the cornerstone to the victory that saved her people came by way of her own personal courage to stand up to what 'the world' called acceptable protocol. Drawing her people to herself through fasting, Esther was empowered by God Himself to change the course of history. What an incredible example her act of dependency on God was for us.

If you think about it, the world around us even now presents you and me with the same challenges that beset Esther. Protocol dictated who she could speak to, what she was to wear, even when she could be in the presence of the King ... HER HUSBAND! For us the 'world' wants to direct our thoughts, our viewpoints and our values. Our standards are being jeopardized daily and our convictions severely compromised. Our beloved country is seriously at risk of changing into something that we may not continue to cherish ... or at the very least, be willing to fight for.

Father God, I pray that each of us see Truth as He is. I pray, in Jesus' name, that as our eyes are opened we will be willing to stand up to the challenge of saying NO to those things that are not of You. I pray also that we will be convicted to understand with clarity the saying that teaches us "Right is right, even when no one is doing it. Wrong is wrong even when everyone is doing it."
In Jesus' name, Father, I praise You endlessly.
Amen and amen

No comments: