Thursday, August 11, 2011

Behold ... God's Treasure

A dear friend of mine stopped by recently and because God created within her a pure love for flowers and plants and anything that sprouts from the earth, she quickly noticed a need for me to tend to my garden.  As she gently brought this situation to my attention I found myself with a desire to cultivate within my heart the same gardening love bug that consumed her.  Immediately I set out to tidy up ... snipping first a flower that had fallen to the ground as a result of a heavy rain.  The tenderness of her heart, as she offered me direction, was equal only to the tenderness of the treasured gift from God.  Taking the gladiola into her hand she soon found some greenery that would serve to dress this single stemmed blossom up like it was the Belle of the Ball.  Her wisdom, compassion, gentleness and confidence was nothing short of a treasure to behold and I thank God for the many gifts He offered me in this brief encounter.

This morning, as I look at the flower and greenery that was so artfully placed in a vase, I see that God's incredible gift continues to offer blessings for my day.  It is apparent that time has removed the rain drops that once displayed God's nurturing ... and the luster of newness has faded a bit ... but no less brilliant is the beauty of each delicate pedal as they curl up in praise to their Creator.  New, subtle colors can now be detected.  New blossoms have erupted.  New details are standing at the ready to be discovered.  Thank You, Father, that Your amazing glory is never ending!

My friend brought God's beauty into my home and for that I am truly thankful.  I think now of the similarities that can be extended to so many other aspects of my life.  To see the beauty of the friends that God has cultivated in my life ... those who display God's master craftsmanship.  Each frail in their humanness but boundless in beauty as they encourage me, support me and build me up.

Although I go through times in which God Himself must prune the withered branches that gather in my midst, I give great thanks for His constant nurturing.  My heart's desire is to be a true reflection of who He is.  To be the best 'me' that I can be ... and do what I can to bring the best of God out in others.

May I seek to be an empty vessel that displays the beauty that God created within me.
May my eyes see only the good in others ... never their shortcomings.
May I always be willing to love and praise and seek God's will for my life.
An most importantly ... may I leave the pruning of others to the wisdom of God.

Father God, shine your light on those things that need my attention and renew within me, Lord, a desire to let you take care of all the rest.  I pray this, most fervently Father, in the blessed name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Amen and amen.

No comments: