Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It's All In The Beatitudes

The 5th chapter of the Book of Matthew presents us with truths that we commonly refer to as "The Beatitudes'.  Boiling the Lord's message down into a nutshell we learn ... Blessed are those who see that it's NOT all about us ... but rather, it's all about God ... no if's ... no and's ... and expecially NO 'yes but's about it!!!

Take as an example of this truth, a time in your life when you were driven to anger.  Soon the natural effects of the moment engulf you and suddenly your countenance exposes a 'new' you ... someone that is entirely different than the person that you earnestly strive to be.  Then, not long after the moment of ignition, a secondary fire flares up within you as you attempt to defend your righteous position with, 'yes!...but Lord' that disguises itself as self-pity.

This happened to me not so long ago.  Looking back on the event I can see clearly that I was innocently caught off guard.  I fell into a trap set by the enemy but as it turns out, that mattered not, for even in times of innocence, anger is ugly.  Even during these times the cries of 'yes!...but Lord' are heard by someone whose heart's desire is to love unconditionally.  I, on the other hand, must confess to you that with the settling of the dust came one last expectation ... my defiant spirit wanted to hear an apology ... for surely in my innocence I was deserving of that ... but wait ... could it be that I had fallen into another trap? .............

It was then that I found that time spent with the Lord somehow gives new perspective ... divine insight ... that WOW moment in which you're left speechless by an awe of Him ...

During our time together the Lord encouraged me to read the Beatitudes through the lens of His eyes.  There His light illuminated words like mercy, humility, purity of heart, peacemaker.  As the scales began to drop out of my line of vision I could see plainly that in order to obtain the blessing that He so earnestly wanted me to enjoy, I first had to be all that He wanted ME to be.  It was clear beyond measure that I was to 'let go' of everything that I laid claim to and 'let God' take care of those things that only He can change.

Miraculously my heart began to melt.  Without hesitation I could see that my innocence wasn't the main story line here ... and it wasn't me who was deserving of the apology.  I knew, deep within my heart, that I had no right to claim the glory that was His as the heart of the remorseful turned to Him.

Thank You, Jesus, for our time together.
Forgive me, Father, for my haughtiness.
Thank You, Jesus, for the joy that now fills my heart as I clearly see Your footsteps in which I am to follow.

Father God ... always thankful ... always in Jesus' name ... I give You now all my praise for the beauty of the Beatitudes.  May I always remember that they first point to You!
Amen and amen.

No comments: