Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall

Recently I celebrated an anniversary at work that puts me on mark to hit what many would consider to be yet another 'milestone'.  The great company that I work for, with its remarkable workers, has faithfully seen me through some of the most difficult challenges I've ever known ... all the while sharing with me some of the most precious moments that lay within the recesses of my heart.  It can be argued whether or not these folks are actually part of my family ... I defy anyone to tell me that they aren't.

As I look back over these many years I remember things ... fun things ... that somehow left indelible marks on my memory.  One such thing was an employee newsletter that asked the question ... "Who do you resemble?"  With the answers to that question came photos of co-workers who resembled Liz Taylor, Meryl Streep and even Benjamin Franklin.  It was fun to see how God craves variety all the while seeking out the fun in paring some of us up as look-a-likes of the rich and famous.

One other standout memory from years gone by relates to the time when employees were asked to help decorate a new Christmas tree in our Human Resources area.  The incredible talents of fellow co-workers offered homemade ornaments of every kind but my favorite was a small mirror that displayed this haunting question ... "Do you see Christ in this ornament?"  Political correctness being what it is these days, sadly, the ornament was not openly displayed for all to see but to this day that mirror ... with its haunting question ... rests on a shelf with the lasting reminder of whom we should aspire to resemble ... Jesus!

It is commonly said that every one of us has a double.  Someone out there who is a mirror image of us, so if I were to ask you now ... "Who is it that you resemble?" ... is there a chance that your response to me would be "Jesus"?  "No", you say, "that's not possible ... He is too perfect.  There's no way that I can walk and talk and love others like Jesus does.  I've been hurt - sometimes over and over again by the same person.  How can I be expected to extend my hand in forgiveness and compassion like Jesus would?  I want nothing more than to be an empty vessel that breathes a willingness to live as one with the Father ... but I know my imperfections - my limitations ... and it just isn't going to happen.  The chances of my truly looking like Jesus are, at best, slim.

Well, I confess that at one time in my life I too thought that way.  I took the tact that my weaknesses were greater than His strengths but I found out that when your focus is YOU there's no chance you'll see a reflection of HIM.  Now, by the Grace of God, what I see when I look in a mirror is the person that the Father sees ... His creation who, being cloaked by the loving Grace of His Son, is as perfect as His precious Son.  The Blood that Jesus shed washed away ALL of my imperfections and in the Father's eyes, I AM without blemish!

So then, my part in all of this is to live with the willingness to humble myself as Jesus did ... even when I don't feel like it.  Hug the unlovable.  Encourage those who are downtrodden.  Forgive the offender.  Over and over and over again ... until they see that you look like Jesus and they want what you have.  Jesus was, and remains to this day, the One we should strive to resemble.  I don't mean to make light of it ... it's not something that comes naturally to any one of us ... but with unwavering conviction and constant dedication you will be amazed at the joy that fills your spirit as people see a likeness of Jesus when they look at you.

Father God, I know deep down that true humility is not within my own power but by Your Holy Spirit I claim Oneness with You as I look to be a likeness of Your WONDERFUL Son!  Father, in Jesus' name I pray that it may be so.
Amen and amen

No comments: