Saturday, June 6, 2009

Delightful

The Lord lead me this morning to a passage in His Word that has revealed something incredibly wonderful about Himself. The uncovered treasure is written in Psalm 147:11 and in it the Psalmist tells us . . . "the Lord delights in those who fear Him, who put their hope in His unfailing love."

I remember a time when hearing the term 'fear the Lord' brought with it for me a feeling of distress. As a matter of fact, I remember telling my mentor not long after I was saved that I had no intention of worshiping Someone who I had to 'fear'. Well, as soon as Mike removed the boxing gloves that I had put on in anticipation of our discussion, the Lord allowed His peace to well up within me as He showed me that to 'fear' Him is to be in awe of Him . . . to have reverence for Him. Ohhhhh, THAT I'm ok with . . . THAT I love.

But isn't it just incredible - no, isn't it just amazing - oh dear, I'm without a word to describe how truly wonderful it is that our Creator takes delight in all who fear Him? He waits (ever so patiently) with outstretched arms, hoping that we will realize His splendor, His creativity, His worthiness. He finds delight in us when we visit with Him, when we surrender ourselves to Him and when, as we call Him Papa, we acknowledge our need for Him.

As I meditate on the enormity of this whole idea, the Holy Spirit prompts me to consider the fact that God Himself has a purpose (and why not - each of us have a purpose and we were made in His image!). His purpose is not one of a 'Sugar Daddy' - although from the very beginning of time He has provided for our every need. His purpose is not simply to put us back together after we've made a mess of things - although He is always willing to do so. No, it seems clear that God's purpose is to build a Kingdom of faithful followers who He can love and take delight in. His purpose is to create us, to provide for our needs, to teach us about Himself and to bring us into His Kingdom.

He delights in the love we show Him as we put our hope in the never ending love He has for us! It sounds like a full circle to me!

How often, Father God, have I stopped to wonder . . . HOW DO YOU DO IT? We are so incredibly needy and yet You are the fulfillment of each of those needs. Thank you, always, for Your perfect plan of love!
Amen and Amen.
bo

No comments: