Saturday, June 27, 2009

Membership Assignments

Over the years I've taken on many roles in which I've assumed positions of leadership. For example I was once the President of the Employee's Association at work and later on that was followed up with the 'prestigious' assignment of being the President of the 25 Year Club. Apparently these two 'not so auspicious' positions planted seeds of leadership within me because over time I went on to proclaim myself to be the head of two other 'clubs'. First, the President of The Hopeless Romantic's Club and secondly, the President of The Lonely Heart's Club. How the Dear Lord has put up with me over the years is a miracle in and of itself but just as He promises in Romans 8:28, "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose", He has used my membership assignments to bless me beyond measure. Let me explain . . .

Last night I had the incredible opportunity to be out in the middle of God's lush bounty. In the midst of this haven of life, purity burst forth from every living thing. In my eyes the trees had never before been more rich with multiple shades of green. The songs of birds had never been more harmonious. Even the fingertip sized frogs that quickly bounded from one place to another brought a sense of the hope of life.

Rain had swept through the area so the sounds and smells of freshness were everywhere. The mere sight of a droplet of rain as the sun burst back upon the scene was enough to take my breath away. But then, as if right on cue, no doubt for full effect, and only as God Himself could do, a screen of mist rose up from the wooded area and drifted along in front of my view as the direct rays of the sun shown through to the ground. Breathtaking perfection . . . orchestrated certainly by God Himself as He allowed His presence to be known.

Ever so briefly I thought how nice it would be to have someone there with me to enjoy this moment. But then, even before that thought could fully be formed, I realized that only God knew ahead of time that He had orchestrated this moment - only God could arrange my schedule and my heart so that I fully enjoyed this gift of perfection. No one but God could have known that he needed to be there at that given moment of time. Someone else may have disappointed me by his absence or unity of heart but not God . . . for it was then that I realized fully that I wasn't alone - Jesus was there with me and our hearts were one . . . thus the perfection of the moment.

Although on occasion I am asked to run for re-election as the President of the Lonely Heart's Club, a few years back, through Divine intervention, I gladly gave up that leadership role. How blessed I am now to know that I NEVER have to take that burden on again. But as you can see, I've yet to walk away from being the head of the Hopeless Romantic's Club. Given my heart I suspect that the Lord agrees that, together with Him, my reign should live on.

Blessed Jesus, You are the love of my life . . . now and forever . . . thank You for Your bountiful gifts.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: