Monday, July 20, 2009

Hands and Feet

I recently attended a picnic at which there was a mother/son team who were - hands down - the leaders at winning every race they entered . . . no, they weren't playing baseball, they weren't proficient at tossing horseshoes and I know for a fact that they didn't enter the volleyball tournament. No, this mother/son team wasn't winning trophies for their spectacular abilities on the playing field - they were winning hearts for Jesus.

There at their picnic table some 800 or so people had the opportunity to see Jesus in action for you see, the young man was what we would consider to be disabled . . . but boy or boy what an incredible blessing he had in the form of his mother. What joy she had on her face as she encouraged him to partake in the upbeat dance music. A smile the size of Texas covered her face as she helped him walk up to collect the prize he won when his name was drawn. Love that was unconditional and uncontrollable. Not even for a moment did either of them let on that they would ask God to change the circumstances of their lives. They displayed character and tenacity that was not only admirable but enviable.

A few years back there was a song that caught everyone's special attention. It was called "Hands and Feet" by Audio Adrenaline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m36OWibR6nk). This mother/son team lives this song out every day of their lives and in doing so give us who are able bodied a challenge to do the same.

When I stopped to chat with the young man - his name is Don - I told him that we have a prayer board in our Sunday School class and that I'd add his name to it. I assured him that there was nothing magical about the board but that by adding his name there would be a team of prayer warriors lifting him up to the Lord. Do you know what this young man's response to me was . . . in a soft, gentle voice he said to me . . . I love you. Utterly amazed I ask you . . . what more could the heart of this mother ever need to hear!

Thank You Jesus. Thank You for showing me Your love through this young man and his mother. Help me Lord to step out - just as Don's mother is doing - to be Your hands and Your feet. In the name that is above ALL names - Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, I pray that You, Father God, would bring this mother/son team to Yourself and allow Your peace to rest upon their lives. Father, may it be so . . .
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: