Monday, July 27, 2009

Only One Week Left . . .

I'm working on a study right now that has posed quite a meaty question and since I don't want to be the only fish in this pond, let me share it with you now. The background is that a woman has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Mustering up the nerve, a friend asks the woman . . . "What is it like to live each day knowing that you're dying?" Agreeably it's a heavy question but as the story goes on the woman's response was in the form of a question that seems heavier yet . . . "What is it like to live everyday pretending that you're not dying?"

The point being that whether or not we acknowledge it we're both in the very same boat. Why is it that we look at someone with an illness as being any different than all the rest of us. Whether healthy or ill we will all face the same end so . . . let me ask you now . . . if you knew that this was your last week on earth, how would you live your last days? What legacy would you want to ensure? With whom would you want to share Jesus?

That's the long and short of it you know. That's all that matters. Everything of this world will pass away . . . so the question is . . . where will you spend eternity and what does it take for you to ensure that end?

It is written in John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Who do you love enough to make sure they know this truth? Remember . . . you only have a week . . . can you be held back from making sure that your children know Him? or your neighbor? or your co-worker? The list is endless. I want desperately to live and breathe Him so that everyone who knows me, knows Him. Am I successful in doing that every day? Do I speak of him often enough? Regrettably, the answer is no - all to often my humanness rears it's ugly head - but my desire remains true to Him. It is then, with a repentant heart, that I ask for His forgiveness . . . and thankfully it is then that I am reminded of His amazing grace. And no matter the time, I cannot hold back my desire to make Him known! Praise God!

Don't let another day go by . . . remembering that time truly is precious . . . get to know Him so that your love for Him overflows into the lives of those He gave you to love.

Lord, may each of us - and everyone you've given us to love - be guided to know you intimately.
Father, may it be so . . . in Jesus' name I pray.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: