Monday, July 27, 2009

A T T A C K ! ! !

Have you ever opened your eyes from a long nights sleep and immediately your spirit begins to grumble? No matter who or what comes to your mind - literally every thought is bathed in negativity. Well, a couple of weeks ago this encourager's heart ran smack dab into just such an attack. POW - right in the kisser . . . I was hit with a spirit of irritability! If I were still a child . . . at this point my mother would have told me to go back to bed and get up from the right side this time . . . how funny it is now to know the truth of what was going on.

Well, by the time I made it down to the kitchen I knew I was under attack. My thoughts were anything but pure and lovely and noble and trustworthy. I spent (wasted) the first few moments of the gift God had given me - a new day - in an attitude that, in plain language . . . sucked! (sorry)

I knew that half the battle was to recognize the smoke (from the pit of hell) that was surrounding me but it was then that my Sunday School training kicked in. Putting on God's Full Armor I then enlisted the Holy Spirit's provision of Wisdom, Discernment and Protection. Thankfully He allowed me to envision the Sword of the Spirit as I dipped it into a pool of Christ's blood, preparing it for battle. Knowing the power of the tongue I began to say aloud the Name that makes Satan himself flee . . . JESUS, JESUS, JESUS! Just hearing it brought comfort and assurance of deliverance.

Well, as life would have it, I carried my attitude to work with me - but luckily I was cloaked in God's love so I realized that the battle was NOT mine. Absolutely every single time I felt an arrow hit I literally tattled like a child to the Lord and called upon Him to come to my rescue. Empowered by the Holy Spirit I was able to cast the spirit of irritability into hell and in its place I loosed God's Holy Spirit to fill the void. Goodness and purity and love soon ruled.

As my day came to an end I thought about a recent visit I had made to a nearby town. My destination was a Christian cafe that regularly presents live music on Saturday nights. I arrived just as day was becoming night and quickly settled into the swing of the music that filled the cafe. During a brief intermission I stepped out to get a breath of fresh air. I had never been in this small town before so I wandered around just a bit checking out the sights of the store fronts. Before long my attention was drawn to some lights that were off into the distance. Thinking that they were from a movie house marque, I strolled toward them only to find that the establishment that had lured me away from my path was a bar. Along the way I passed a housing complex in which I could see people mulling around . . . one of whom used words that made me shudder. The darkness of the area provided an air of uncertainty and suspicion. As quickly - but inconspicuously - as possible I stepped out onto the street where it was more open and light was available. It was then that I high-tailed it back to 'safety'.

I can't help but think now that a spiritual attack is no different than my encounter in this small town. Satan flashes lights to draw us off of our paths. Many times, however, before we're pulled into his web, there are signs of darkness around us that we should recognize and heed. We should be drawn to the light where openness dispels all secrets. We should return to our place of safety where goodness and praise abound.

If you feel alone - if you're keeping a secret - if you feel like you're under attack - don't wander off by yourself - go to God and ask Him to lead you to someone who can come along side of you and shine the light of Christ into your world.

JESUS - JESUS - JESUS . . .
Blessed be the Name that is above all names. The Name to which every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that He is LORD.
Hallelujah.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: