Monday, August 3, 2009

A Slim Rose

"So often as I write my mind wanders back to our childhoods and I find myself mentioning mother over and over again. I thank God for the woman that she was - imperfect, yes - yet set apart with love that never wavered. I pray that people can see the real Rose that she was as I mention her in my writings."

The thought expressed above is something I sent to my siblings earlier today. As you can see from today's earlier post . . . I'm a bit under the weather. Yesterday as I was 'in the thick of it' I thought about my own daughter. Sara will soon turn 29 years old and to this day when she doesn't feel good she wants her mom to be there with her. Close enough to fill the hot water bottle or merely stroke her long, thick hair . . . with 'mommy hands'.

Today, I believe that I'm feeling the same way. The very thought of my mother is overwhelming me. Although there was a time that I doubted my ability to be without her for even a day, she's gone now for nearly 14 years. In many ways to know me is to know her. Oh, I confess openly that she was a much better disciplinarian than I . . . and she had some weaknesses that only mine would trump . . . but thankfully I make good of the lessons she taught and remember only the best.

The man who loved her was as special as she. Long and lanky - Emery by birth but 'Slim' they called him. Honest as the day is long my dad was of hardworking, down home stock. My parents were the epitome of 'Green Acres'. He was the hardworking farmer who married and brought the young city gal - the love of his life - to the country where they reared three girls who were the center of their lives. I never remember a time when my sisters and I didn't come first to them. We were poor by many standards but rich we are in the memories of the love that never failed. Through the rebellion and self-centeredness of our youth they remained constant . . . and I miss them both terribly.

Yesterday as one of my sisters worked tirelessly to be about the Lord's business the other one came to my aide with ginger ale and Lorna Doones. Surely both of them were filling the shoes that our parents once wore. My prayer is that our parents rest in peace knowing that the 'Slim Rose' we were given was exactly what the Great Physician prescribed in order to bring us to Himself. May I leave such a legacy for my own children.

May the Lord know the gratitude that is within me for my 'Slim Rose'.
Thank You Jesus
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: