Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What's In A Name?

Awhile back I went through a study of the names of God. While I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, I do acknowledge fully the depth of intimacy that this study has afforded me. I must confess that the thought of writing about such things here makes me want to run the other way . . . who am I to think that I could offer anyone insight into God's names or His very nature! But openly I confess that this blogging wasn't my idea - and rarely are my own thoughts recorded -rather, it is powered by the Holy Spirit - so this morning as I'm feeling lead to mention this subject, please know that I am humbled that He would use me in such a way. I can only pray that He will help you to see Himself in a new light . . . in spite of me.

So . . . where to even begin. Scripture tells us that God has many names . . . and, of course, one in particular is my favorite . . . but our God is a God of order so I concede to His leading.
~ It seems proper to mention Yahweh first
. . . Above all . . . the Great I AM
~ We sing of Adonai. In this He is our Master . . . our LORD
. . . What He declares to be true is true indeed
~ El Elyon . . . His Majesty, the King
~ Elohim . . . Our Creator. Powerful beyond understanding
~ El Shaddai . . . Almighty God. All that we ever need
. . . Plenty enough
~ Jehovah Jireh . . . is Our Provider
~ Jehovah Rophe . . . Our Healer
~ Jehovah Nissi . . . is our Banner
. . . Boldly we declare our utter dependency on Him
~ Jehovah Shalom . . . He is our Comfort, our Rest, our Peace
~ Jehovah Rohi . . . The Lord is our Shepherd
. . . gently guiding us along the way
~ Jehovah Mekadesh . . . He is the One who sanctifies us
. . . Growing us, stretching us, molding us
~ Jehovah Tsidkenu . . . Our Righteousness
. . . Without Him we are nothing short of evil
~ Jehovah Shammah . . . He is with us - always!
And ~ El Qanna . . . He is our Jealous God. Jealous? Isn't that odd. Never do I remember my mother telling me that being 'jealous' was a good thing and yet in Deut 4:24 it is written, "For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God." And in Zechariah 8:2 "This is what the LORD Almighty says: I am very jealous for Zion. I am burning with jealousy for her". And, of course, in Exodus 34:14 it specifically says "Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." WOW - His very name is Jealous. Who knew that my mother could be wrong!

Well, luckily my time of study with the Truth Project has provided sufficient insight into this quandary. What I learned was that there are two types of jealousy. If you will . . . a good one and a bad one. The bad one is born out of our humanness - our greed. It says, 'you have something that I want and I hate you because you have it.' This one calls us away from God. The good one, on the other hand, is a zeal that arises within us when sin threatens a covenant relationship. This one draws you closer to God for He is jealous when our sin threatens our covenant relationship with Him.

How incredible is it that God loves us that much. He is actually jealous that we allow sin to enter our lives. How often we think so flippantly of sin. We feel badly about it, yes, but how often do we actually consider that it has separated us from God. If you listen closely you can almost hear Him as He calls out your name . . . calling you back to Himself. It seems to have such a lonely tone to it, don't you agree? Jealous - I love it that my God is a jealous God.
I LOVE EL QANNA!!!

Father, my heart, my cup, overflows with the goodness of Your names. I am overwhelmed by the sacrifice that Jesus made for ME. Thank You so much for providing us with the insight into your very nature. Your pureness and generosity simply amaze me. I pray that you will use this brief teaching to bring about Your great Glory.
Father, may it be so . . . In Jesus name I pray.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: