Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Mother's Heart

I've been a mother now for nearly 32 years and it never fails to overwhelm me when I see something cross my path in life that exposes to me a need to pray unceasingly for my children. As a matter of fact, such reality - even when it comes at the expense of someone else's child - causes me to stop and consider, yet again, the pain and helplessness that Christ's mother Mary must have endured.

Yes, the degree to which her soul was to be pierced was foretold even when Jesus was no more than eight days old but living out that pain . . . seeing that pain in your child's face, seeing his spirit beaten and broken . . . nothing can prepare a mother's heart for that.

As her Son's experience unfolded, could Mary have had even a glimmer of hope? Could she have seen His pain as a journey to freedom and Oneness with God? Do you? As your child stands before you - broken in spirit, in need of Oneness with God - are you able to experience the glimmer of hope that IS Jesus?

God gives each mother a special love for their children. A love that can't even be described. Our hearts break when our children are broken and in pain - when we realize their despair and their need for Oneness with God. Our helplessness is beyond words . . . and yet, there is great reason to give all praise to God, for even on the darkest of days, Hope truly does spring eternal. Even in the broken heart of a mother . . . Christ is able to put hope back into our hearts for our children. He did that for His own mother and His tender mercies declare that He will do the very same for all of us.

Thank You, Jesus. I praise the day that You released me from the desire to be in control of the lives of my children. Thank You for carrying the heart of this mother, and all mothers, right along with You as You carry our children in their times of need. Thank You for the hope that emerges in this journey to Oneness with You.
In Jesus' name and by His grace I pray.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: