Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yes, But

Yes, but. Two small words but when placed side by side their power to divide us from God's will is no less daunting than the Great Wall of China.

Moses spoke these words when God suggested that he teach Pharaoh a thing or two about freeing His people from slavery. The Apostle Peter shouted them after stepping out of the boat onto the water. I, myself, have allowed them to slip out of my mouth on countless occasions, and yet, how foolish! Why is it so hard for us to see that these two small words, when combined, reek with the stench of FEAR. Fear that comes against God's perfect will for our lives.

Jesus spoke to us about the 'Yes, but's' in our lives when He said . . . 'Oh, ye of little faith.' He understands our tendencies to allow the flesh to rise up within us and shout 'Yes, but'. He understands our tendencies to overshadow His authority and power . . . but lovingly He shows us that there IS a better way. He willingly shows us the unbridled possibilities that exist when He is given the opportunity to lay out His plan for our lives.

Lord, how could I have been deceived by the 'yes, but's' for so long and yet feel so loved by You now? . . . . . . "Look back" He says "and see the dross that I have cleansed you of . . . bitterness, resentment, stubbornness, self-sufficiency. I have filled the holes of your emptiness with my agape love. I opened up your heart to the teaching of who I am and who you can be if only you would remove the 'yes, but's' from your life. I have loved you with an everlasting love that sets the captives free . . . and He whom the Son sets free, is free indeed!"

Hallelujah!

Father God, I know that my journey of sanctification will never end on this side of heaven but I pray that I'm further along today than I was yesterday. As long as there are lives around me to touch . . . and to be touched by . . . I pray from the depths of my heart that you will remove whatever 'yes, but's' there are within me that might keep me from Your perfect plan for my life.

Father, may Your will be done, for I ask it in Jesus' name.
Amen and amen.
bo

No comments: