Sunday, March 27, 2011

Live United

About a year and a half after I was divorced, my sister Barb and I decided that she would come and live with my kids and I. At the time our mother told us that it wouldn't last two weeks . . . that was 28 years ago and to this day we say that we're still just trying to prove her wrong! With all kidding aside, we now look back and give praise to God for the outpouring of His love on our decision. Now we understand that He used this one event to play out His plan of unity in our lives.

When we started this new little family Josh was about 4 years old and Sara was 2. Barb was there to share in the joys of potty training and the heart wrenching pain of the empty nest. Her contribution was priceless to the development of these two totally opposite children.

Well, fast forward to last fall when Josh bought a house through an auction. He and my husband worked tirelessly over the winter to renovate and otherwise change this unlivable house into something that was functional, clean and charming. Then yesterday it happened ... Sara ... you know, the one who was totally opposite from her brother in EVERYTHING ... well, she and her new husband stood united to bring about the birth of Josh as a landlord.

Memory lane here we come ... I was about to wear my mother's shoes! I must confess that the prospect of this much harmony initially shocked me, but oh the joy as it unfolds! I'm sure that it comes as no surprise that my heartfelt prayer is that their unity will long outlast the record that Barb and I have shown them is possible.

As my heart began to pour out this message I ran headlong into Scripture that spoke about unity. For example in John 17:21 it is written "I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one - as you are in me, Father, and I am in You." Then further on in verse 22 the heart of Jesus Himself is poured out as His prayer goes forth to say "may they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me."

It's ALL because of Him. He tells us to: Pray for on another. Be kind to one another. Submit to one another. Bear with one another. Be devoted to one another. One another, one another, one another . . . do you see the resounding theme here? He commanded us to love as He loves and in the end "With God ALL things ARE possible" (emphasis added)

Thank You, Father for this joy unspeakable - love divine. I am blessed beyond measure as You weave this bond. I pray that I am able to sit here 28 years from now and still see the Your imprint on the lives of my children. As always Lord, all praise and thanksgiving pours out of my heart in the Name of Your Son, my Savior, Jesus Christ!
Amen and amen.

No comments: