Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bonnie Thy Name Is Peter

I know that God's will for our lives is for us to be more Christ-like. The journey to that destination is what you call sanctification. But while that's who we should aim to be . . . what I want to know is . . . who in the Bible do you - as a flawed, imperfect person - most closely relate yourself to?

The title of this posting gives me away - just call me Impetuous Peter. Oh my, to be impetuous. A trait which I refuse to call a character flaw - it's merely a part of me that needs a little polishing. But honestly, if the truth be told, the worldly side of me would just as soon leave it unpolished - that way I get to do what I want to do - when I want to do it - with whom I want to do it . . . within reason, of course! Without polish I would never have to stop . . . and listen . . . and wait . . . and wait . . . and did I mention wait on the Lord? You can bet that when I get something in my head there's little that can hold me back from doing it. In the work force that's often a good thing but when it comes to any number of other things, I can get myself in trouble real fast!

I'm encouraged by the fact that the Lord made Peter such a strong individual - a spokesman and leader (yep, the one who jumped out of the boat to walk on water! Mt 14:29).
I'm comforted when I see that the Lord wanted him close at his side (privy to Jesus' transfiguration Mt 17:1).
I sob when I recognize the grace God granted him after his denial of Christ (Thank You, Lord Jn 21:15-17).

And while I know that my ultimate goal is to be Christ-like . . . not Peter-like . . . even to walk in Peter's shoes will be a step up from those I'm wearing.

Our sanctification is quite a journey. I only pray that when my journey is at its end people will forgive my impetuousness as they have Peter's. What a delightful 'co-ink-e-kink' that the topic of study for the new quarter in my Sunday School Class is going to be Acts, to which the Apostle Peter is so closely tied.

Thank You, Jesus, for using the Apostle Peter as an example for me to know, without a doubt, that you are willing . . . to be patient and loving and faithful and forgiving. . . of me. I pray that I too will be willing to walk on water when you tell me to "come"(Mt 14:29).
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: