Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Power of Purpose

Has God wired you to be driven by purpose? He has me. Without it I'd be hard pressed to get out of bed in the morning or to focus on anything other than the arthritis that's fusing my joints together.

In my opinion, life without purpose seems meaningless. Facing a day without it seems like hopelessness waiting to happen. Actually, I'm unashamed to confess that it was because of this thing called purpose that I finally asked Christ into my life.

I had been a single mom for 20+ years and during that time I chose to live for my children - totally, completely, utterly. In my mind that kind of sacrifice seemed only right since a single parent family was NOT part of the dream their dad and I had envisioned for them when they were welcomed into this world. (Ah, the power of guilt!)

As you might imagine, when my children grew in age and independence their departure from the nest was nearly more than I could endure. I felt completely empty. Although I had sisters who were willing to be there for me I convinced myself that the heart and soul of who I was, was gone . . . I didn't have a husband - I didn't have my children - I didn't have friends - I was sure that no one needed me and no one wanted me.

And it was there - at the end of myself - that I found my Savior.
He promised me that He would never leave me.
He promised me that HE created me with a purpose and for a purpose.
And praise God, He promised me that I would NEVER be empty again.

How glorious it is to be encompassed by such love.
How wonderful it is to be confident of His faithfulness.
How truly blessed I am to be filled - forever - to overflowing!

Lord Jesus, may You know that my love and gratitude to You for choosing me is beyond expression and may I bring You pleasure as I live every day to fulfill the purpose You created for me in this life.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: