Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Be Not Anxious

The book of Philippians is commonly thought of as a book that the Lord uses to bless us with unending joy. So much so that it should come as no surprise that countless people rely on its faithfulness to lift their spirits even when one of life's challenges brings a sour taste of lemons into their life. Thank God, for Philippians!

Well, recently the joy of this book was brought front and center for me when my sister's heart was broken over a freak accident that left her cat's leg broken. By the grace of God, Barb was home when the accident happened so after rushing Polly to the Vet she called me to fill me in on what was happening. Needless to say, I felt incredibly helpless. Certainly, no words that I could share would serve to ease her anxious state. Nothing that I could do would even come close to healing her broken heart . . . or Polly's broken leg.

Well, thankfully as soon as I hung up from talking to her I was moved to lift them up in prayer. Speaking out I asked the Lord to love on both of them and to bring them His much needed peace. The amazing thing that happened then brought me to a place of awe for He showed me that even though the event involved an ordinary (be she ever so beautiful) cat, and even though the event itself was ordinary in nature . . . He, the God of the Universe, was willing to whisper in my ear and say "Be not anxious" ... Then, apparently to ensure my understanding, He whispered it again ... "Be not anxious".

We, that was enough for me. I KNEW that these words were familiar and I KNEW that I was being lead to Philippians 4:6! There the Lord tells us "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer & petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." So with a thankful heart I praised the Lord for His intervention, for His peace and for His loving kindness unto my sister ... and our little Miss Polly Ollie.

Tonight, I'm glad to report that our little princess is resting comfortably but as I consider situations around me on a scale of 1 to 10, this one with Polly would admittedly fall much lower than say one in which a friend has lost her job, or people were ravaged by war. But how comforting it is that our God ... no matter what the situation ... is with us - standing close enough to whisper His peace in our ear ... "Be not anxious". Thank You, Jesus!

Father, You are far beyond my comprehension and yet I have great thanks for Your willingness to stay close enough to me to actually whisper in my ear. Thank You, Lord. Thank You.
In Jesus' name I give you all my praise.
Amen and amen.

No comments: