Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Motivation

There is a treasured art to interacting with people. It begins immediately upon arrival into this world and then, driven by motivation that often defines the outcome, countless situations arise which work to define the artist in you.

Case in point: Recently, during a waiting room experience, I was subjected to . . . oh, pardon me while I check my attitude . . . let's start again . . . recently, during a waiting room experience, I was 'provided with an opportunity' to watch the interaction of a grandmother and her 10 year old granddaughter. Within moments I was most grateful that the evening news was being aired on the nearby television set for if not, I would have bet my life that the headlines in the morning paper would have been that the entire universe was rearranged so that it was now revolving around this child. I'm not sure who was more grateful when my name was called to leave . . . me, or the technician who didn't have to provide service to the child of the hour. Motivation filled the room - each of us with our own agenda in mind.

Try as we might, our motives, more often than not, ARE self-centered. We want what we want when we want it and if, God forbid, disappointment is our lot, then we are likely to impress our discontent on many of those around us. But what do you suppose God's viewpoint of this is? Is it possible that He leads you into life's situations as a means of testing you . . . or challenging you . . . or even ultimately growing you? I suspect that it came as no surprise to Him that I would experience this short, be it nonetheless nagging, exchange of wills. No, I suspect that He had something in mind which would grow me . . . enable me to see the need for His imprint on my own life.

Life's exchanges, no matter what their purpose, give us unprecedented opportunities to work on our motivation. Jesus Himself told us the importance of loving our neighbors as we love ourselves. And in Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 God's Word tells us "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!" An then it goes on to declare the ultimate truth . . . "A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." This truth, without exception, is the core for all of life's exchanges and ultimate relationships . . . that is, of course, when the strand in the center represents our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!

The bottom line is that we need one another . . . God made us that way. As such, our motivation should always be directed to serve others before ourselves . . . whether or not they seem lovable at the time - whether or not they wear on our last nerve - whether or not they love us in return.

Father God, open our eyes to those around us that need a fresh anointing of Your love. Empower us, Lord, to check our motives at Your Door of Grace as You enable us to give of ourselves without first considering our own needs. As always, Lord, I lay this request at your feet in Jesus' name.
Amen and amen.

No comments: