Wednesday, May 27, 2009

She Said Yes!

Well, she did it. She said yes. My daughter is getting married. The date has been set (10-10-10), the site has been reserved and the invitations ordered. Wow, it's amazing how all of this brings with it an onslaught of emotions and excitement and well . . . challenges.

Like any 'normal' mother/daughter relationship, ours has seen it's share of humanness. Looking back on the first 29 years of her life brings an array of remembrances which ultimately boil down into a melting pot of love. Ahhhhh, but as I recently discovered, this is only the beginning. From my vantage point it seems that in the coming months I may be faced with some of the most interesting opportunities to walk out my Christian life. Let me explain what I mean . . .

True to His faithfulness, the Lord lead me to a truth in Ephesians 4:1-3 which, if applied, is sure to revolutionize this wedding journey and help me on this path of becoming mother of the bride for it is written "Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace."

WOW - Peace and wedding - now there's an oxymoron!!! The selfish actions of others should roll off our backs? No grudges. No animosity. No resentment. No demands. How can it be that the Lord in all His goodness and love is urging us to be patient with one another. Is it possible that I should choose to draw people together rather than allow division? Do I really want others to show me the same amount of patient as I plan on showing them? Do you suppose that the dress she wears will even come close to being as beautiful as the love that is sure to be on display that day?

There's a million things to be done before the big day arrives. I suspect that I will personally deliver an invitation to the Lord to attend this wedding . . . maybe long before that goes out in the mail I should first invite Him to share in the preparations of the blessed event. Maybe as mother of the bride my daughter might learn more about applying the selflessness needed for a solid marriage if I first set a good example of being Christlike before, during and after her wedding day.

Lord Jesus, Sara's dad and I stood before you and pledged our undying devotion to one another - and to You - 38 years ago. Despite our inability to honor our committment Lord, You remained faithful and out of that union you blessed us with two treasures that are more valuable to us than life itself. I pray now Lord that you will enter into this event and bring Your peace and unity to all who join together to bring Your richness to the life of 'our' beloved daughter.
Amen and Amen.
bo

No comments: