Saturday, July 26, 2008

My favorite recipe

Ingredients needed:
1 head
1 heart
The Word of God
Combine 1 head with 1 heart until they come into agreement
Add in a heaping helping of The Word of God
YIELD: An incredible bounty of the Fruit of the Spirit

When asked years ago, an incredibly wise woman gave me the answer to the age old question . . . 'How do you KNOW - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that you truly love someone?'. Although the question was asked in the context of a man and woman marrying, her advice has proven to be pure truth in countless applications throughout my lifetime.

Her answer . . . "If your head tells you that you love someone AND your heart tells you that you love that person then, and only then, can you be sure."
(Note to self . . . she was goooood!)

Case in point:
As a child I was taught WHO the man, Christ, was. During that time of my life I was also taught WHAT it was that Christ had done on my behalf. My head had the knowledge to understand and I willingly accepted the facts. My head told me that He was worthy to know . . . but my heart hadn't yet seen His light so no connection was made between the two.

Years (and years) passed - - - the little girl in me grew. The marriage that prompted the question in the first place had long since come and gone (obviously the advice was received but not applied). The children of this marriage grew to be strong and independent - just as all children are trained up to be - but with their wings giving them flight, the woman, who asked the question years prior, was left with an emptiness that was overwhelming.
I was at the end of myself.
It seemed to me that all purpose in my life was gone.

Enter the Savior who could now begin the remodeling project that would take the knowledge of the head and move it 18" down to the heart! For it is written in Jeremiah 29:13 . . . "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." What an indescribable blessing it is to be lead to a place where the greatest desire of your heart is to be filled by Him!

The connection, now complete, proves once again the accuracy of the wisdom shared so many years ago.

Jesus says to SEEK. That's our only part in the whole process - seek Him with all of our heart and after finding Him, He willingly draws you closer and closer to Himself.

Lord Jesus, thank you for the wisdom that culminates in the harvest of the Fruit of Your Spirit in my life. In Your powerful name, Jesus, I pray that ALL will come to the saving knowledge that is complete in and through YOU.
Amen and Amen
bo

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Bonnie,
I love a good recipe...this is a good One!