Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bouncing Back . . .

It probably won't come as a surprise to most of you that even the heart of an encourager can someones 'take a hit'. Burdens come at all of us and an encourager is not exempt from these attacks. I dare say that it is the encourager himself (or if the shoe fits - herself) who is most shocked by the direct hit. Oh, those rose colored glasses!!!

But it is written in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Jesus is promising to be our help in times such as these! If you are good at reading between the lines you'll see that what He's saying is "I am mighty. I am powerful. I am strong . . . so bring it on!" There isn't anything to insignificant - or so heavy that He can't manage it. For you see, these are the burdens that He overcame when He hung on the cross. Truly the weight of the world was on His shoulders - our oppression, our pain, our disease, our sin. He became it all . . . HE OVERCAME IT ALL . . . and He declared "It is finished." John 19:30

Because He knows the weight of what is coming against us, He is willing to partner with us to see it through.
Call on Him. Praise Him. Thank Him.
Lay your burden down - step back away from it - and walk away!
NOOOOO - don't turn back and try to pick it up again - remember you're weak and picking it back up may be hazardous to your health!
As you empty yourself of this unwanted baggage, allow the Holy Spirit to come in and fill you with His joy - experience His peace that surpasses all understanding. (paraphrased Philippians 4:7)

You are not called to go it alone - call on the Name that is above all names. For it is written in 1 John 4:4 "Greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world."
Hallelujah, Jesus!

Thank you, Lord Jesus, for allowing us to trade our sorrows in for your joy!
I am so thankful to confess, Lord, that Your joy is my strength!
I give You praise and honor, and glory, Oh Prince of Peace.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: