Monday, August 18, 2008

"Follow Me"

It is written in Matthew 9:9 "As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. "Follow Me," he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him."

I have a DVD* that is a reenactment of the word for word account of the Gospel of Matthew (which, by the way, I HIGHLY recommend). In the scene that depicts Jesus calling Matthew to follow Him, Jesus approaches the table where Matthew is working. He leans down so as to be eye to eye with Matthew and in a soft, drawing voice He says to him "Follow Me". I have watched this DVD countless times - I put it on in my kitchen and just let it play as I'm going about my day - but I have NEVER been able to get past this part without coming to a complete halt of my busyness. I don't know if it's the look on Jesus' face, or the tone of His voice, or His willingness to bend down to be at Matthew's level but without fail I melt.

Now I've gone back and checked and there are a good number of times in the Gospels that the words 'follow me' appear. But the Lord has allowed this particular encounter to melt my heart. Maybe you would melt when Jesus drew James and John away from their father with those same words. Peter and Andrew were working hard in a smelly fishing boat when they were called - maybe that would tug at your heart but the truth is, no matter who we are or where we are in life, Christ wants to reach into your day and say "Follow Me".

WAIT . . . before you rush away thinking this posting isn't speaking to you because you've already accepted the invitation to follow Christ, consider that His words are more than just an initial invitation. I believe that in these words He is saying to even us, His beloved followers - in our busy day - "Follow Me".

"Follow Me" as you're making decisions.
"Follow Me" as you're disciplining your children.
"Follow Me" as you talk to friends on the phone.

The most important step you'll ever take is to ask Christ into your life but that's not where it ends. Each and every step you take must continue to be in His direction. Listen throughout your day for that 'still soft voice' that says "Follow Me" and do as Matthew did . . . no matter the cost, follow Him.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for giving us every reason to believe that You are with us always - drawing us ever closer to Your side. Open our ears so that we hear Your voice as you call us to follow You. Melt our hearts so that we willingly seek Your will for our lives!

*DVD info: The Visual Bible - Matthew
www.visual-bible.com
Purchased at Arrowhead Parable Bookstore
I have a loaner copy that I'd love to share with you . . . ask and ye shall borrow!
bo

1 comment:

Tammy said...

I'm so glad I listened when He said "Follow me"

May I borrow?