Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Challenge

A couple of years ago, during a Thanksgiving Day service, our Pastor told a story of a woman who, without fail, gave thanks for the daily blessings that she received from the Lord.

One Sunday morning as she was walking to church a storm moved into her area but despite the rain and wind she remained determined to reach her destination. Arriving drenched and weary she was greeted at the door by a fellow church goer who challenged her to find something on that day to be thankful for. But without a moments hesitation the woman replied, "I'm grateful that it doesn't rain like this every Sunday as I walk to church."

Truly, we do have SO much to be grateful for but how many of us look at the circumstance that we're in rather than giving thanks for something we're being spared. So on that Thanksgiving Day our Pastor challenged us to follow that woman's example and for the next year jot down at least one thing each day that we were grateful for.

Determined to meet the challenge, I faithfully took a moment or two each night before turning off the lights to log my thanks in for that day. My blessing came the following Thanksgiving Day as I spent time reading back through the memories I had recorded. Talk about gratitude!!! There in black and white I saw the hand of God in my life in a real and lasting way. His love for me became so obvious. His grace was truly amazing. And thankfully a new appreciation for Him emerged.

So now I challenge you. Start today and for the next 12 months jot down daily at least one thing that you are grateful for. I promise you that it won't be a waste of time. Then, one year from today be prepared to be amazed as you read your year in review!

It is written in Psalm 107:1 "Give thanks to the Lord for He is good! His love endures forever."

Lord Jesus, You shower us with blessings each and every day. May we come to realize the extent of Your incredibly generous nature as we venture through the next 12 months.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: