Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lunch Anyone?

Have you ever had something that 'sticks in your craw'? Big or small it just begins to eat away at you and all the while resentment and animosity are building up.

Recently I allowed this sort of thing to happen to me. The reason for it isn't important but my feelings were hurt and although I didn't want it to, it was really getting under my skin.

In an attempt to lighten my burden I invited the Lord to go to lunch with me. It was a warm day so we sat in the gazebo near my work and we talked as the city bustled around us. I confessed to Him that I was a living example of Romans 7:18, for just like the Apostle Paul, "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." I assured Him that I didn't want to let the offense become baggage but my feelings were hurt.

With that said He reminded me that it's not about me. It's about Him. (Oh, how I wish I didn't need to be reminded of that!) He allowed me to understand that not only did He share my pain of the 'offense' but He was also in pain because the offenders were outside of His will for their lives. He, unlike me, took on the pain of both the offender and the offended!

Well, that certainly put a different light on the situation. All of a sudden my hurt feelings were inconsequential. What if they don't confess and ask for forgiveness? Does He hurt until the end of all time? WOW . . . It really IS about Him!!

Compassionately, He then reminded me that I was offended by humans - just like me! He gave me reason and strength to forgive them from my heart. How glorious it is that I have someone who I KNOW I can turn to. Someone who will never offend me, or hurt me, or leave me wanting. How truly blessed I am!!!

Holy Jesus, I give You praise for how truly incredible You are. Lord, how I wish I could begin to realize all the burdens that You carry because of me. I am so thankful that You would allow me the privilege of seeing the fullness of this situation from Your eyes. Thank You for allowing me the opportunity to offer the offenders up to You in prayer rather than present them to You for punishment. Oh, that I would realize how truly great You are.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: