Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Opportunity

I have felt for days now that the Lord keeps drawing me to the word 'Opportunity'.

God rest my mother's soul - she always use to say 'M.Y.O.B.' (which you KNEW meant 'Mind Your Own Business') so with that being the general rule around our house I don't normally have much in the way of a curious nature but I must confess that the Lord has stirred something up in me . . . with a mere word! He's given me an air of anticipation. What in the world could He be up to?

As I listen for the soft whisper of His voice I wonder if He has something new in store for me. One of those 'open' doors you're always hearing people talk about.
  • Maybe he has a new friend that He wants me to connect with.
  • He couldn't want me to reach out to an unfriendly person could He?
  • Maybe it's that He has a small child who needs the touch of my tender heart.
  • Maybe it's a chance to stand up and tell someone in my world about Him.
  • Could it be that He wants me to offer compassion to someone who is struggling with a challenge that I've already faced?
  • Oh heavens, could it be that He wants to stretch me out beyond my area of comfort?
  • Holy cow - could I be the next President of the United States? (syke - just checking to see if you're paying attention!)
With all kidding aside, I have to admit that I'm excited. Even the word - opportunity - lifts your spirits. Rarely do you think of the word 'opportunity' while thinking of the word 'hardship'. No, 'opportunity' gives your spirit a chance to expect something good, or rich. Something encouraging, or a step up.

Oh, I love this word. Living with it drives you to think of positive things. I can see myself checking around the bend or into the next doorway to see, with excitement, what might be waiting for me there. Never would you be looking over your shoulder for an 'opportunity'.

Now, don't get me wrong . . . I'm not one of those 'freaky' people who love it when their piece of cheese gets moved. Noooope, not me! When my piece of cheese gets moved I'm the quiet mouse in the corner wondering when my comfort level is going to return.

But when the Lord Himself gives you the word 'opportunity' it's different. Knowing His nature - His goodness - His compassion - His desires . . . well, you're just so sure that you'll be safe and secure and blessed because you know that you're in His hand - no matter what the 'opportunity' is that He has for you.

May my ears be opened to hear your voice Lord. May my heart be softened to share your compassion. May the baggage I carry contain gems to be lavished on someone rather than boulders to weigh me down.

It is written in Matthew 9:9 "Jesus said, Follow Me, and Matthew got up and followed Him."
Oh, YES, Lord. I will follow You anywhere - anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!

. . . to be continued!! I'll keep you 'posted'. HA! (get it - posted/postings - never mind - remnants from yesterday's humor!)
bo

No comments: