Sunday, August 17, 2008

Only By the Grace of God

I have been a mother for thirty years now. Twenty seven of those years I've been 'on my own'. Yes, I've been single all those years but before you start feeling sorry for me let me stop you . . . I assure you that there are blessings - there is a silver lining. For instance, God rest my mother's soul, she use to give me gifts for both Mother's Day AND Father's Day. And . . . I got the choice of whether I wanted to sit at the head of the table (which is normally Dad's throne) or I could sit on the other end where I could jump up when someone needed extra butter for their bread. I had the best of both worlds.

Oh, don't get me wrong. There were tough times. Like when decisions needed to be made . . . or when both kids were sick at the same time . . . or when little minds needed a reminder of the importance of respecting their mother. A challenge - yes - but, oh, the long ranged rewards that are mine.

Let me illustrate what I mean . . . you will remember from a prior posting (Unspeakable Love) that an important day was recently celebrated in our family. When I spoke to my son about it that day the words that he said will fill me with joy long after I leave this earth. He told me "when I realized what the date was today I told the guys . . . I'll be getting a call later from my mom". I mention that not to highlight the fact that I love talking to him - but because of how it blessed me. He knew - he KNEW that I would call and share in his joy - his accomplishment. He knew that I wouldn't forget. This makes the 'tough' times all worth while. The victory wasn't that I did it - the victory was that God planted gratitude and respect and security and trust in his heart. I couldn't demand it. I couldn't buy it. In order to earn it I had to allow God to work in and through me.

Yesterday, my daughter called. She was stranded. Life was presenting her with a challenge of great magnitude. The prayers went up. The peace reigned down. What a joy it is that it doesn't matter how old they get . . . they still need mom.

It is written in Psalm 23:5 "You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." I know who fills my cup to overflowing. I pray that Dad will someday come to the same saving knowledge that has so richly blessed my life. He won't ever be able to recover what has been lost over the years but, oh, what richness he would have in his new found treasure!

Thank You, Jesus. Your love and faithfulness leaves me speechless.
bo

No comments: