Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I've Earned This Chip . . . NOT!

Did you know that it is written in 1 Corinthians 13:5 that "Love keeps no record of wrongs".

Yep. Read it for yourself. We are expected - expected - to put our pens down and slip our tally sheets away in a drawer so that we aren't tempted to keep track of the things people do that hurt us or offend us. We are expected to love them as much as we love ourselves. Grudges and attitudes, revenge and retaliation are all out of the question. WOW!

If your spirit is anything like mine, you have to wonder how in the world that could be possible. They've offended me - how could I willingly put it all behind me . . . and act like nothing has happened? I have every right to have an attitude toward them. I've earned this chip on my shoulder.

But we're told in the 'Love Chapter' that we don't have that right. We've read time and time again in the Word that JESUS paid the price that takes away any right that we now claim as our own. If anyone has earned the right to repay someone for the hurts and offenses that came against Him it would be Jesus. I heard a preacher once mention that if he were Jesus, he would have knocked on Pilate's door on Easter morning. I confess that I have to agree, but not our God. He took the punishment - our punishment - willingly! He didn't show any signs of having an attitude. He was beaten and rejected and still He asked the Father to forgive their actions. He was compassionate and merciful. Thank God that the stripes on His back are greater than the chip on my shoulder!!!!!

We have so much to learn and although it won't be easy, oh, how the blessings will flow if we willingly allow an obedient spirit to rule! Do yourself a favor . . . walk the hill of Golgotha and when you reach the top, place your hurts and offended attitudes at the foot of His Cross - then turn and walk away from them. You have no ownership rights to them so leave them there.

Lord Jesus, please help me, Lord. I'm not strong enough to take on this challenge alone. My nature is to fight back with meanness and cruelty. I ask you, Holy Spirit, to give me the strength to lay this down at Your cross and walk away empty handed.

And there is victory in Jesus for it is written in John 8:31 "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

Oh, thank You Lord, for Your never ending promises that unite us forever.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: