Monday, August 4, 2008

Ants . . . Who Knew???

One warm Sunday afternoon I was sitting on the swing out in our back yard. As I leisurely soaked up the warmth of the day I caught sight of something moving in the grass by my feet. As I paused to investigate I found that the movement was brought on by a 'band' of ants who were transporting something they obviously thought of as a treasure. As they marched off in what appeared to be a work detail, their valued cargo was being rolled along effortlessly from ant to ant.

This kind of 'excitement' wasn't something that I would normally go looking for but on that warm day I was totally captivated by their ingenuity and resourcefulness. I watched as each ant took his turn - every one of them teaming up to achieve their goal. I was in awe of God's creativity and the instincts that He had given each of them. I also became aware of the fact that at nearly every turn they would run into a wall. A thick blade of grass, a twig, or even some old bird seeds.

As they trudged along I watched. From my vantage point I could clearly see obstacles that would soon be in their path. How in the world, I wondered, were they going to get by that roadblock. As they neared yet another challenge I heard myself saying to them "Just ask me and I'll move it for you. Look up here - ask me - I would love to clear your path for you. But I can't do it unless you ask me to."

Well, it was as though the heavens opened up to me at that very moment and God Himself said "HELLO - that's exactly what I want you to do when you're faced with challenges in your life. Look up. I'm right here just waiting for you to ask me for help. I would love to clear the path that you're on. From my vantage point I can see the roadblock that's ahead of you and I dearly want to help you cross over this one."

It is written in Luke 11:11-13 "You fathers - if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead? Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not! If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him."

We serve one truly incredible God!! He meets us where we're at - even when we're just watching ants work! And He's willing to shower us with gifts beyond what we can fathom. How much more wonderful could it possibly get.

A friend of mine reminds me often that He never misses an opportunity to bring glory to His name . . . to which I always reply - AMEN - and rightfully so!!!

I praise You, Lord God, for Your generous out pouring of Grace on us. NEVER have You failed to amaze me.
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: