Friday, August 15, 2008

Teach & Learn With Willing Hearts

In verses 3-5 of the second chapter of a letter that the Apostle Paul once wrote to his trusted assistant, Titus, it is written "Teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands."

I am so excited that a friend of mine is putting the finishing touches on a fall class at church which centers around this verse in God's Word. Appropriately, it will be called, "Titus 2 Women".

Looking back I can see that the most influential woman in my life was my mother. She passed away several years ago now but it is she that I most often quote and it is her teachings that I refer to more than any others. She didn't walk on water or glow like an angel but her teachings were rooted in love and at any given moment she willingly gave of herself to others. And as I've confessed on many occasions . . . the older I get - the smarter she gets!

I believe that each of us - no matter what our age - is to share with other women the truths of God, tenderizing their hearts with His love. We are to be examples, yes, but even more. We are to offer our testimonies so as to develop and deepen their faith. We are to express joy and hopefulness as a means of heightening their desire to be with the Lord. We are to teach purity as a means of ensuring peace within their souls. We are to be mirror images of the incredible compassion and mercy that is Jesus. Selfless. Obedient. Sacrificial.

I am old enough to be able to offer the experience that comes from having made mistakes. But at the very same time I am also young enough to be hopeful to learn new things that will ensure my future growth and continued closeness with Christ.

What an honor it is to grow older and more hopeful for His return!!!
Let us prepare an army of women who are hopeful for His return.
Let us all be found worthy when He arrives!

Come Lord Jesus!
Amen and Amen
bo

No comments: